Sunday, June 2, 2013

What's On My Wall - June 2, 2013

I have finally cleared my living room wall of art as I transported all the recent work went up to Las Manos Gallery for the current show. But nature abhors a vacuum, and I dislike the unsightly defects in my wall, so I was hanging new work up there quickly. Two new things of interest: Firstly I found a collection of 'Kit Kat' boxes that called out to be cut apart and reassembled. And secondly, for a few months I've been thinking about the old Prentice Women's Hospital building, which I love, and wanted to make something related to that rare and unique building. I would be a crime if this structure were razed, and I'd be so ashamed of Chicago as cultural entity if they allowed it's destruction. Chicago that prides itself as an architectural city, that just last year held a show at the Art Institute to celebrate the architect, Bertram Goldberg, shame on you! You can tell I have strong feelings about this and I could go on, but I won't, only to say here are a couple of ideas related to the reuse of the building and the fact that no one associated with this situation cannot come up with a plan to save it show a distinct lack of imagination that perhaps defines Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment