Sunday, March 11, 2012

Large Collage on Old Cereal Boxes


The title pretty much says it all. I have been saving old cereal boxes on and off for a couple years now. It reminds me of the cardboard that came from my fathers shirts as they were returned from the dry cleaner. It was a valuable commodity when I was a child. And it was clean and precise. The first time I can remember loving paper for its' own qualities. I paint on the back side of the flattened cereal boxes and when they dry, sunny days are good for quick drying, I cut them down to usable pieces. A lot of editing occurs in the trimming of the cardboard. Assembly happens over time. I lay it out initially, and make changes as I assemble the collage. My first impulses when thinking of this piece were to make use of the material and to create collages using larger pieces. The overall dimensions of this collage not including the white paper around the edges is 42 x 50 inches. Materials; india ink on cardboard. Orientation; undetermined.

No comments:

Post a Comment