Sunday, March 4, 2012

More Symmetrical Architecture


I don't completely understand why I find architectural symmetry comforting. Clearly it has something to do with structure and regularity, looking for a little order in a chaotic world. The attraction to symmetry might come from an early need to connect with faces, which are generally, but not always, symmetrical.

But in the case of this particular photo, my attraction has to do with the surrounding landscape, as unreal and fantastic as it is. Perhaps the less said about the photos' origin, the better. Just look, and let your imagination roam, which is what I have been doing all week as i worked on this image.

I live in Chicago on the 17th floor of what is reffered to as a 'mid-rise' building. Not to everyones' taste, I know, so many people are unnerved by heights. Even I'm put off by my fragile-looking balcony railing. But to those of us that like being up in the air, enjoy a panoramic views, and thrive on the physical presence of the city, there is nothing like high-rise living. Among my circle of acquaintances there is an ongoing discussion about which is preferred in a high-rise view; the city or the lake. Ideally one would have both, but that combination is difficult to come by, and often considerably more expensive. The lake view offers watery nature at it's most abstract and sublime. The city view offer and endless panoramas of the built environment. Both perspectives reflect and react to the ever-changing weather in ways that inspire awe. I myself settled on a city view, and am quite content, but there are times that I'm envious of those that can take in the minimalist, water-centric vistas of Lake Michigan. It strikes me that this photo embodies both of those desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment