Monday, July 1, 2019

More of the Same, But on Panels

The last three weeks I have been working on 12x12x.75 inch panels. revisiting many of the motifs I had explored much of this last spring: baskets, grids, optical black and white....

The panels are an intriguing presentation, and I do enjoy with the modular aspect of them. Create your own composition, make it a game, perhaps it is a language... The possibilities are almost endless. I have had fun with a couple of clients putting together compositions. Below is a photo of one such group. We mixed in some color with the striped panel, and that panel is actually .25 inches thicker than the surrounding panels, so we get a change of elevation on the piece too.
Michael McGuire - Various Painted Panels - 12x12 inches each


It is drawing of the baskets that I return to again and again. Their graphic and optical qualities engage concepts that I like to ponder. The black paint I am now using removes most evidence of the brush, and your eyes do jump somewhat at these graphic black and white pieces.

Michael McGuire - 9 'Basket' Drawings - Acrylic Paint on Panel - 12x12x.75 inches each


Detail
The other thing I am exploring in these panels is the tight, hand-drawn grid. Once again the optical qualities of the small white squares intrigue, and most people are unsure how these are made. I change up the configuration within the square format of the panels for a little variety.

Michael McGuire - 7 Untitled Panels - Acylic Paint on Panel - 12x12x.75 each
Detail
Michael McGuire - Skewed Grid 7 - Acrylic Paint on Panel - 12 x 12 x .75 inches
A new configuring.
Michael McGuire - Untitled - Acrylic Paint on Nine Panels - 12 x 12 x .75 each

No comments:

Post a Comment