Thursday, January 12, 2017

What A Difference Six Months Makes?

I had to got out onto my small balcony this morning to pick up a cushion that the wind had tossed around yesterday. As I looked down to my condo building swimming pool I saw this.

Wintery and graphic, we had a dusting of snow early this morning that accented the tarp covering the pool and presumably touching the remaining water. I have frequently shot the pool form this vantage point with no particular goal in mind other than the documenting changing seasons made visible via my condo pool deck.

Here is the summer version to remind us all that the days are getting longer and warmer weather is on its way.


This week I also remade/updated a drawing I made last summer. I have an opportunity to send a few drawings to a show in Guatemala City and I wanted to include a drawing from my 'Overlapping Grids' series. My instinct was to rework one of the more complicated of the grid drawings by shifting the arrangement. Formally each of the grids in these drawing are made with one half heavy line weight and one half lighter line weight. At the time I did not fully understand the result of the two grids overlapping. Why the asymmetry? 

Michael McGuire - Overlapping Grids 4 - Acrylic Paint on Arches Paper - 40"x26"
So in the newest drawing I shifted where the heavier line weigh occurs. It changed the drawing, but I'm still unsure why. Note how the NW and SE corners have changed. Perhaps this imagery deserves a full series to explore each of the possible variations.

Michael McGuire - Overlapping Grids 11 - Acrylic Paint on Arches Paper - 40"x26"

No comments:

Post a Comment