Sunday, June 15, 2014

New Drawing

Experimenting this week - not all of it successful. But I have been thinking of augmenting my recent color striped drawings by adding a contrasting type of mark. There has been a bit of a dialogue taking place in the art world for the last few years about just this type of practice - mixing marks. In my mind it began with Christopher Wool and his large abstract paintings where he would make the wiping away of paint a distinct mark on top of his abstract brush stokes. I'm sure that manner of working has been happening for quite a bit longer than Christopher Wool, but it was seeing his paintings in person here in Chicago that motivated me to merge this into my recent work. Clearly, this becomes as they are fond of saying in the gallery world - 'Painting about Painting'. This was my second attempt at such an endeavor, the first an utter failure on all accounts. But I rotated this one 180 degrees from my intended orientation, and something shifted for me.
Untitled - Acrylic Paint on Arches Paper - 26 x 40 inches
.

No comments:

Post a Comment