Thursday, June 1, 2017

Recent Color Studies

Color is definitely in my head this spring. Some people say it is a reaction to the Trump era. I like to thing I'm working on adding another skill set. Color is hard,and I am not a natural, but I have learned a few things. Not sure where I am going with this impulse but small studies seem like a good place to figure it out.

I just finished a commission of large 'City' drawings that involved a bit of cautious color. These drawings will be heading to Sao Paulo and the imagery seems appropriate to a city of that size. 

Michael McGuire - 4 'City' Drawings - Acrylic Paint on Paper - 40 x 26 inches each

These drawings required me to look at both the acrylic paint and the paint pens I had on-hand and I ended up making a series of samplers that looked something like these. I had more earlier in the month but I have been giving them away as gifts. They are small and definitely have the feel of a study. My immediate impulse are the psychedelic color combinations. I was all those early rock posters on which I was raised. I think too that is has something to do with challenging my eyesight which becomes weaker every year.



Directly from these came a series of small city studies. Each of these are sized at 8.5 x 5.5 inches.



I got a little political on the last study.

On to something larger this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment