Sunday, October 26, 2014

Recent Commission and One Happy Accident

I had a commission this week, fairly straight forward, but labor intensive. The two drawings are from my 'Second City' series and I would describe them as abstracted notions around buildings and perspective drawing.

Second City 6, Second City 7 - Acrylic Paint, Pencil, Arches Watercolor Paper - 40 x 26 inches each

 For drawings of this sort I make fairly precise preliminary underdrawings in #6 pencil as a guide for the later aplication of acrylic paint. The pencil drawing always takes more time than the painting itself. It is a juncture when everything is measured and made just right in terms of position and composition. Once the pencil is competed the remainder of the work is more about the process and focus. During the course of this commission I did make a mistake. The pencil drawing was finished, but about five minutes into the painting portion, I lost my concentration and let the paint pen slip. The result was a wayward line that could not be repaired or covered. I had to start from the beginning. Once I had finished the two drawing for the commission I returned to the 'mistake'. I covered the slipped pen mark with a wider line, and then proceeded to fill the entire page with the grid-like intersecting planes. The result is like an illustration out of a algebra book. I cannot decide which way is up - Both orientations present a unique reading - planes recede, edges move forward. I quickly made a few shadow studies in Photoshop. I'm not sure they help define the space in the drawing, and that is not really the point, I consider these drawings abstractions. A fun exploration and a lesson about making use of missteps.
Untitled - Acrylic Paint, Pencil, Arches Watercolor Paper - 40 x 26 inches
Same Drawing Rotated 180 Degrees
Misc. Computer Shadow Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment