Saturday, July 5, 2014

New/Old Drawing - 'Winter City'

I had fun with this one. The start of the drawing had been sitting in the drawer for a couple months, half finished - white acrylic buildings on a hand-washed background of diluted India Ink. My thought at the time was to continue drawing buildings at a smaller scale into the background, but I ran out of momentum. Recently I've been wanting to experiment with grids, or lines of acrylic paint on hand colored watercolor paper, and this unfinished drawing was the perfect opportunity to do so. I worked on a large sheet of paper, left over from a larger roll of Arches watercolor paper, and I tore it down after the drawing was completed. The deckled edge is very much in evidence. I'm happy with the way it came out, the traces of the under-wash still show - I already have a couple of directions that must be explored. I'm calling it 'Winter City' because it reminds me of the way Lake Michigan looked this past winter, covered in sheets of ice.
Winter City - Acrylic Paint, India Ink, Arches Watercolor Paper - 40x22 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment