Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Working From Home

I had trouble knowing exactly where to begin working at home during this temporary relocation of my studio. I have a large commission which I work on diligently but I cannot solely focus on that, I don't have the stamina or the concentration. So I have been making smaller black and white grid drawings related to earlier work of mine from a few years ago that I made on panels at the time. My media is Steward Semple Black 2.0 and a white Molotow acrylic paint pen. I up scaled one piece to 22 x 30 inch paper size but am unsure if I like them any larger than 16 x 12 inches.

Michael McGuire - Three Drawings - Acrylic Paint and Molotow Paint Pen on Arches Watercolor Paper - 16x12 inches each
Michael McGuire - Three Drawings - Acrylic Paint and Molotow Paint Pen on Arches Watercolor Paper - 16x12 inches each


Michael McGuire - Untitled  - Acrylic Paint and Molotow Paint Pen on Arches Watercolor Paper - 22x30 inches
Lastly I'm posting a photo of the large commission drawing I am currently at work on. You can see my improvised drawing table at home. This month I am so grateful for my fantastic view of Chicago out my window.  I draw much inspiration from the city and its' forms.



These were a few 3D pieces I was working on just before I moved my studio home. Made out of simple craft sticks/coffee stirrers and painted black. They cast fun shadows. The middle piece is based on a Sol Lewitt drawing from his series 'Isometric Drawings'. I plan to make more from that series. 


Here are a few other 'Stir-stick' pieces that I had in production at the studio last month. I hope to finish the large one eventually. There is a connection to some of my recent black and white drawings only these are 3D instead of acrylic paint on paper. 



No comments:

Post a Comment