Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spillway7

Spillway7 - Acrylic Paint on Archival Mat Board - 32 x 40 inches


Pictured is the latest 'Spillway' drawing. They seem to be getting more dynamic as I move forward. I had a mock-up frame built to get an idea of what the pieces would like in a more finished state. There was an abundance of conversation about the color of the frame, everyone had an opinion. These blue pieces are as much about their background color as they are about the drawn elements, and choosing just the right frame seemed important to the finished product. Dark gray was my first instinct, and the gray pictured is perhaps a tone too light. I would match the tone of the gray to the tone of the blue. But just the right natural wood might be interesting also.

Detail


I'm asked quite a bit about the spills and splatters in these drawings. My response is, of course at first I'm frustrated, but then I embrace the lesson to let the material do what it has to do. And to except happenstance and a bit of chaos.  Many people tell me the drips are their favorite element of the drawings.

Computer Generated Studies


As I work on this series I sometime use the 'Photoshop' to flesh out ideas. Below are a few of the computer drawings I have generated so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment