Sunday, May 26, 2013

What's On My Wall - May 26, 2013

Busy week getting ready for a show at Las Manos Gallery. I work in my home, a one bedroom condo in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, and it is not really large enough to do double duty as both a home and a artist studio. I really notice the cramped conditions when I'm working on multiple things simultaneously. This week I've been collaging cardboard, making watercolors of Lake Michigan and trying to fit a few things into store-bought frames. On the wall are two large stapled collage pieces headed for the Gallery. The new funky cardboard one was created out of leftover pieces of cardboard over a couple days of mad assembly this week. I haven't quite decided on it's orientation but if fit on the wall here and hanging gets it out of my way until the show. On the floor you can see some recent watercolors. They are created in layers and each layer has to dry completely before the next can go on. So I work on multiples at the same time and step over them as they dry. This photo shows the weeks worth, and it strikes me that these watercolors are a visual diary of the lakes changing colors and conditions. I use photos as reference for this series, mostly for color and tonalities. I hang my head and camera off my balcony and shoot between the buildings on Lake Shore Drive with the telephoto lens extended. Every once in a while I get a nice photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment